nmbug backtrace due to .mailmap

W. Trevor King wking at tremily.us
Mon Oct 16 14:08:17 PDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 05:37:32PM -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> W. Trevor King writes:
> > On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 10:14:40PM +0300, Jani Nikula wrote:
> >> I also didn't see any discussion about adding a .mailmap prior to it
> >> being pushed.
> >
> > Sorry :/.  I didn't realize it would be an issue until I pushed it.  I
> > can't roll it back because the central repo only allows fast-forward
> > pushes, but maybe David can revert master to 4148cb4 (dropping
> > 5ea99eb)?  Until then, you can work around the current master by
> > applying this patch locally.
>
> Reverts are fast-forward?

Ah, I'd been thinking of rewinding master, but yeah, pushing an
explicit revert commit should work too.  There may be cases where a
client that does not include [1] still manages to find and choke on
.mailmap, but I haven't been able to think up anything that sounds
likely.  And as Jani pointed out in IRC, rolling back public branches
has its own set of problems [2].

So I've pushed bce5a55c removing .mailmap, and folks without [1]
should be back in business.  Sorry for the excitement :p.

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: id:4487e001b350aa8e343a1201d869cceca2a03ab6.1508176853.git.wking at tremily.us
[2]: https://git-scm.com/docs/user-manual#problems-With-rewriting-history