search misses some targets

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Fri Sep 29 04:34:31 PDT 2017

Jean-Francois Moulin <jean-francois.moulin at hzg.de> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Sorry for not providing enough info to start with.
>
> I have pasted a header below (slightly modified for privacy).
> I wanted to find all mails coming from the sender of this one.
> I used "search from:Doe" and search "from:doe" and got only 3/4 of the expected hits (I
> checked with Thunderbird). I then tried "search Doe" and "search doe",
> this message was not found either. Using mutt when I applied a "limit Doe" or "limit doe",
> the message was found.
>
> Thanks for having a look!

I made an email message from these headers and was able to find it fine
with all of the 'notmuch search' variations you mentioned. If you can
duplicate the problem with a public message that you can send verbatim
that might help.  The usual cause of such problems is exclude tags, but
I see from your first message that you don't have any configured.
Another potential source of difficulties is duplicate message-ids. You
could test for the latter with
notmuch search id:OF39AEF41D.39304F6A-ONC12580B2.005407CD-C12580B2.005AB287 at LocalDomain