notmuch-emacs: Fcc to top-level directory given by database.path

Arun Isaac arunisaac at systemreboot.net
Sat Sep 23 07:52:28 PDT 2017

Mark Walters <markwalters1009 at gmail.com> writes:

> Alternatively, does just using / as the folder work?

notmuch complains about absolute paths if / is used as the folder. Look
at function `notmuch-maildir-add-notmuch-insert-style-fcc-header' in
notmuch-maildir-fcc.el.

David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:

> Do you happen to know if it calls with an empty string as the folder
> name? It would be consistent with searching for that to insert at the
> top level.

Setting notmuch-fcc-dirs to "\"\"" fails, if that's what you are asking.

I also tried "." as the folder. This works, but if I search using
`notmuch search --output=files ...', the filename is of the form
"database.path/./cur/some.mail.file". This is not so clean.

> In any case I've noted your feature request/bug-report. It doesn't sound
> terribly difficult to change, but it will need someone motivated to
> think about all of the related details like updating the test suite and
> changing docstrings.

I can contribute this patch. Shall I make it such that if the folder
part of `notmuch-fcc-dirs' is an empty string, then `notmuch insert' is
called without a `--folder=' argument?