newbie questions about notmuch.el

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Fri Sep 8 03:46:21 PDT 2017

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles at free.fr> writes:

> Tom Hirschowitz <tom.hirschowitz at univ-smb.fr> writes:
>
>> I think Julien meant the 'flagged' tag: just press the space bar to
>> switch it on and off.
>>
>> Regarding the second question, you may filter your search (e.g., by the
>> 'flagged' tag) and then tag all messages by pressing *. IIRC there is no
>> shortcut for filtering by default. I have this
>>
>> (define-key notmuch-show-mode-map (kbd "l") 'notmuch-search-filter)
>> (define-key notmuch-search-mode-map (kbd "l") 'notmuch-search-filter)
>> (define-key notmuch-tree-mode-map (kbd "l") 'notmuch-search-filter)
>
> notmuch-search-filter doesn't seem to work in tree mode: I get

> (void-variable notmuch-search-query-string)
>   notmuch-search-filter-by-tag("+unread")

Yes, I think there has to be some mistake in what Tom quoted (or Tom is
using a heavily modified version of notmuch), since
notmuch-search-filter doesn't work in notmuch-show-mode either. The
prefix is a  a hint why that might be: notmuch-search-foo is
generally intended to be called in notmuch-search mode.  As was already
mentioned, 'l' is bound by default to filter in both notmuch-show and
notmuch-search mode. There's no direct equivalent in tree-mode
currently, but you can use the following workaround

S - switch to search view of same query
l - limit search
Z - switch back to tree view.