notmuch-search: sort by subject or author?

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Mon Sep 4 06:54:32 PDT 2017

William Casarin <jb55 at jb55.com> writes:

> Hey there,
>
> Is there a way to sort by subject or author in emacs/notmuch-search? I
> find myself wanting to do this a lot. My particular use case is rss
> feeds, where I have many different feeds in my rss tag that I would like
> to group together.
>
> If not, I am interested in adding this feature.
>
> Thanks,
> William

I think it's not really possible at the moment. If you want this to work
with large searches then it probably needs to be done at the CLI level
(see [1] for work in progress adding sorting by file size).

Luckily 'From' and 'Subject' are already value slots in the database,
which means that nothing should have to change in the database to add
those sort orders (i.e. it should be less work than [1]).

[1] id:20170518222708.30032-1-adi at adirat.com