bug: notmuch show --decrypt leads to SIGSEGV

Matt Armstrong marmstrong at google.com
Wed Aug 16 09:41:42 PDT 2017

David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:

> Matt Armstrong <marmstrong at google.com> writes:
>
>> David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:

>>> Do you have a way for people other than you to reproduce it? I assume
>>> not all threads are a problem for you with --decrypt?
>>
>> The times I have encountered this involve email I can't reveal, so a
>> repro would take some work.  I'm happy to try to dig out specific
>> details, but I'm at a slight disadvantage here due to unfamiliarity.
>>

> Understood. If you manage to bisect the commit that introduces the
> problem (I suspect the rearrangement to support gmime-3.0, but you never
> know), that might be helpful.

David, your suspicions may have been correct.  The bisect came up with
the following commit.

1fdc08d0ffab9b211861de5d148d0a79eae840bc is the first bad commit
commit 1fdc08d0ffab9b211861de5d148d0a79eae840bc
Author: David Bremner <david at tethera.net>
Date:   Sun Jul 16 01:01:43 2017 +0200

    cli/crypto: treat failure to create a crypto context as fatal.

    Silently ignoring signed/encrypted parts seems like the wrong idea,
    and it also complicates future gmime-3.0 compatibility changes.