associating a property with a subpart of a message

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Aug 10 21:49:08 PDT 2017

On Tue 2017-08-08 14:02:56 -0400, David Bremner wrote:
> A hybrid option would be to use a hash of the file + 1.2.1.1. address
> scheme. My thinking here is a bit vague, but I can imagine such has hash
> being useful either for content addressible mailstore, or for
> disambiguating message-id collisions.

hm, interesting.  That would mean that you'd basically never get to
confidently reuse properties (because every copy of a mail you get
likely differs by some received headers), whereas for some normal mails
where you get multiple copies if you were just hashing the part then
you'd get the same thing.  otoh, if you're going to hash a part, that
raises the question of whether you're hashing the headers as well as the
body of that part, and its possible that those headers are being
rewritten someplace.

I suppose the other approach would be to just opportunistically try the
cached data as long as the message-id is the same thing, though.

is there an easy way to get the hash of the file that contains the
message from notmuch automagically?  do we need to worry about mbox
files as well?

I welcome any other ideas or suggestions!

  --dkg