all intermediate drafts appear in threads (v0.24.2, Emacs 25.2)

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at olin.edu
Thu Jul 13 07:38:55 PDT 2017

I save an outgoing email as I write it and often (as if it were a
regular document) by using the usual Emacs key sequence C-x C-s.  With
notmuch v0.24, notmuch saves a proper draft each time I use C-x C-s.
The result is a million drafts, which may be good.

However, it means that the thread view (in notmuch-show mode) includes
the zillion drafts.  Attached is a screenshot of what I mean (sorry that
it is so small -- I downsampled it to get within the message-size
limit).  I made the example by sending myself (sanjoy at localhost) a short
msg.  Then I replied to it with 'r', and saved the reply a few times
(first with "Draft v1" as the body text, the next time with "Draft v2",
etc.).

I then sent the v3 reply.

Attached are the individual mail files as a tgz archive.  The thread was
generated by the Emacs-front-end equivalent of

  $ notmuch search from:sanjoy date:today.. subject:fake

which produces

thread:000000000002e52b 19 mins. ago [3/6] Sanjoy Mahajan; fake msg to test
appearance of drafts in thread (deleted draft new replied unread)

In my .notmuch-config I have

[search]
exclude_tags=spam;deleted;draft

but the summary output from notmuch-search counts deleted and draft
messages anwyay.  Adding --exclude=all helps, and I've done that to my
version of "notmuch-search", but that fixes only the messages-matching
counts (it is 3/3 instead of 3/6):

  $ notmuch search --exclude=all from:sanjoy date:today.. subject:fake
  thread:000000000002e52b 23 mins. ago [3/3] Sanjoy Mahajan; fake msg to test
appearance of drafts in thread (new replied)

But even so the view of the thread inside Emacs still shows the deleted
or draft messages.

I am using Debian's Emacs 25.2 w/ notmuch 0.24.2.

Did I miss something in the configuration?  Or should I be using the
drafts differently?

-Sanjoy

<http://savelongwharfpark.org/>
Save Long Wharf Park in Boston Harbor!

<http://streetfightingmath.com/>
Six reasoning tools to make hard problems easy.