Upcoming GMime 3.0 changes

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Tue May 9 13:02:48 PDT 2017

On Tue, May 09 2017, David Bremner wrote:

> Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> writes:
>

>> out of curiosity, why do you think we won't be able to drop gmime-2.6
>> for a few years?  if it's due to the debian release cycle and wanting to
>> backport notmuch to stretch, i don't think i'd mind providing backports
>> of gmime 3.0 for that purpose.
>
> That was what I was thinking about (and other distros with similar
> release cycles). But even among our own developers I don't know we can
> just throw a switch and say "install gmime 3.0 before you git pull".

I personally can compile gmime 3.0 for this (EOL'd) scientific linux 6.2
machine where I am writing this email, provided it does not need c/c++11
features(*). If gmime-3.0 could be statically linked to notmuch binary then
we could even provide an option to have it bundled into notmuch when
compiled (like I've included zlib...).

> I guess the other point is even with backports, there is still the issue
> of security support for older releases. We'll need to maintain the 2.6
> stuff in a branch, even if it only gets security/severe bug updates.

But these go to releases (how many old of those) which still have support
for gmime 2.6...

> Another question is how long Jeff plans to support 2.6 with bug fixes.

Tomi

(*) I compiled Xapian 1.4 for Fedora 25; compiled fine and notmuch worked
with it. On SL6.2 compilation failed, and when running
/opt/rh/devtoolset-2/root/usr/bin/gcc compilation crashed at some point,