Unsure on how initial tagging with afew is supposed to work

YANG Ling yangling1984 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 00:21:53 PST 2016

Christoffer Stjernlöf <k at rdw.se> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I have the following contents in ~/.config/afew/config:
>
>     # This is the default filter chain
>     [SpamFilter]
>     [ClassifyingFilter]
>     [KillThreadsFilter]
>     [ListMailsFilter]
>     [ArchiveSentMailsFilter]
>     [Filter.1]
>     query = 'tag:killed and tag:new'
>     tags = -unread
>     message = marking killed new email as read
>     [InboxFilter]
>
> My expectation is that this will remove the "unread" tag from messages
> that are also tagged "killed". This does not happen – I can find several
> recent messages which are tagged both with "killed" and "unread".
>
> Why is this a problem? Two reasons!
>
> 1. Messages with the "unread" tag reside in the new/ directory
> physically on the file system, which causes my "you have unread email"
> alert to go off, and
>
> 2. I'd like to understand how to configure automatic tagging with
> afew. For example, the OpenBSD mailing list is just tagged "misc" by the
> default afew tagger, and I'd love to switch this to "openbsd-misc" or
> something.
>
> How can I accomplish what I expect to be able to?
>
> Regards,
> Christoffer

Hi, I am not familiar with afew's source code, but I think your problem
is caused by [InboxFilter]. I think this filter will replace `new` tag
with `inbox` and `unread` tags. So your [Filter.1] doesn't work just
because the message doesn't have `unread` tag. It only has `new` tag.
I guess if you change `tags = -unread` to `tags = -new`, it should work.

One more thing, `tag:new` in `query` part is unnecessary. The code below
should also work.
    query = tag:killed

Hope it helps.

Regards,