anyone uses notmuch-web?

Mark Walters markwalters1009 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 14:29:31 PST 2016

> i'm an user of notmuch already for some years (in fact from the beginning).
> great product! i want to replace my roundcube installation on web server by
> notmuch-web, which - at least in testing on local computer - looks great and
> does exactly the job.
>
> my concerns are in the domain of the internet security. apparently the haskell
> stuff (sorry, not a haskell guy) cannot go over https, but only http, and for
> this one has to do some proxying between http and https.... done on http server
> level.

I can't say much about notmuch-web but as a shameless plug rlb and I are
working on noservice https://gitlab.com/noservice/noservice

This is intended as pure https (ideally you use a firewall to block its
http port), and by default uses client certificate verification so is
probably reasonably secure. Note neither rlb nor I are security experts.

A rough guide is that noservice is intended to look and feel like the
emacs frontend. I use it every day and it meets most of my requirements.

> is anyone using such modus operandi? could you share your thoughts about using
> notmuch-web?

If you do decide to use notmuch-web then possibly try nginx as the https
frontend, and you can configure that to require client certificates.

Best wishes

Mark