[emacs] thread view is showing all messages

Rafael Avila de Espindola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 15:06:20 PST 2016

Rafael Avila de Espindola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com> writes:

> The documentation says that:
>
> --------------------------------------
> By default, various components of email messages, (citations,
> signatures, already-read messages),  are hidden.
> --------------------------------------
>
> Unfortunately that is not what I am experiencing with notmuch 0.23.1.
> Any time I open a thread I see all the messages in it. I can hide each
> one with <RET>, but that is fairly inconvenient.

I found it. The problem is in

    ;; Message visibility depends on whether it matched the search
    ;; criteria.
    (notmuch-show-message-visible msg (and (plist-get msg :match)
					   (not (plist-get msg :excluded))))))

I was doing searches like "to:<list address>", so every email would
match. Changing the search to "to:<list address> and tag:unread" gives
the desired behavior.

Cheers,
Rafael