Notmuch dev workflow: applying patches to local trees

Jani Nikula jani at nikula.org
Tue Nov 8 01:15:47 PST 2016

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:16 AM, Matt Armstrong <marmstrong at google.com> wrote:
> I'm not experienced with managing patches via email on this list,
> especially when it comes to applying patches sent out for review and
> testing.  Is there a documented best practice?

Not sure about best practice, but this works for me:

M-x cd RET /path/to/repo RET

Apply a single patch in show mode:
| git am RET

Apply all expanded patch messages in a thread in show mode:
C-u | git am RET

You do have to setup the branch yourself in advance.

> Ideally, I'd like a "dwim" command that does something reasonable, such
> as take messages from the current thread and apply the patch series to a
> new/pristine git branch in my local repo.

You can also write your own shell script that does the right things
when you pipe patch(es) to it.

BR,
Jani.