bash completion install location

Jani Nikula jani at nikula.org
Sat Oct 22 03:15:43 PDT 2016

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016, David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:
> Debian complains about /etc/bash_completion.d begin obsolete and also
> claims that /usr/share/bash-completion/completions is the right location
> [1].  Can someone who uses bash (ideally also some non-Debian platform)
> please confirm or deny this?

I don't know about one or the other location being "obsolete" or
"right", but as a data point, both 'dpkg -S /etc/bash_completion.d' and
'dpkg -S /usr/share/bash-completion/completions' list plenty of packages
on Debian Jessie. Looking at upstream, the former seems to be used,
perhaps the latter is a Debian thing.

Not very helpful, is it? :/

BR,
Jani.