notmuch-insert Fcc handling w/spaces in dir name

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Mon Oct 10 12:14:43 PDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 10 2016, Keith Amidon <camalot at picnicpark.org> wrote:

> I just upgraded to 0.23 and tried out the Fcc handling using notmuch-
> insert.  I think this is a significant improvement and I'm excited to
> use it.   I have it working successfully for my use case now, but it
> did require one workaround that I didn't expect and that seems somewhat
> fragile.
>
> The issue is that I'm synchronizing with Gmail and I'd like my sent
> mail to be synchronized too.  Therefore I have to insert into the
> directory Gmail expects, which is "[Gmail]/Sent Mail".  Notice the
> space in the directory name.
>
> I was able to make this work by setting notmuch-fcc-dirs to:
>
>    "\"[Gmail]/Sent Mail\" +sent -inbox -unread"
>
> This works because the Fcc handling constructs a shell command to run
> by just appending the notmuch-fcc-dirs value to (in the simple case)
> "notmuch-insert --folder=", so the extra double quotes in my notmuch-
> fcc-dirs value quote things appropriately at the shell level.
>
> While this works, depending on passing through shell quoting seems very
> fragile.  Changes in the implementation could break this solution
> without it being obvious why.  It seems like it would be better if the
> notmuch-fcc-dirs value could be something like:
>
>     ("[Gmail]/Sent Mail" "+sent" "-inbox" "-unread")
>
> Then the code could generate the shell command with appropriate
> quoting.

Actually it looks like (also by quick look) that the elisp code does
not generate shell command with appropriate quoting, but first
splits the line with (split-string-and-unquote fcc-header) (*) and then
creates command line arguments based on that list...

(*) line 235 in notmuch-maildir-fcc.el

so, it could be somewhat trivial to allow fcc-header to be either
string or list -- and in the latter case use something like you presented
above…

Tomi