Mail archives in Git using ssoma (Docker image)

Eric Wong e at 80x24.org
Tue Sep 6 18:23:40 PDT 2016

David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:
> Eric Wong <e at 80x24.org> writes:
> > For mirroring existing lists, I started using public-inbox-watch
> > which currently watches Maildirs.  The config knobs are sorta
> > documented from my announcement to git at vger:
> >
> > https://public-inbox.org/git/20160710004813.GA20210@dcvr.yhbt.net/
> > http://hjrcffqmbrq6wope.onion/git/20160710004813.GA20210@dcvr.yhbt.net/
> >
> > Initial import (w/o spamassassin) was done with
> > scripts/import_vger_from_mbox in the source:
> >
> >         torsocks git clone http://hjrcffqmbrq6wope.onion/public-inbox
> >         git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox
> >         git clone git://repo.or.cz/public-inbox
> >

> FWIW, I already have a Maildir with a complete (and updated) archive of the list (and
> only that) for use of nmbug. So at the risk of putting all eggs in one
> basket, perhaps public-inbox-watch could watch that maildir.

Yes, public-inbox-watch(1) is probably preferable for any subscriber to
start archiving the notmuch list.  I just pushed out some POD manpages
which should probably help (along with the existing INSTALL doc):

   https://public-inbox.org/meta/20160907004907.1479-1-e@80x24.org/

public-inbox-overview(7) should be a good starting point of ways
to start mirroring/hosting.  Please feel free to ask me directly
and/or meta at public-inbox.org if you need clarification or help.
I'm scatterbrained and tend to omit things when writing
documentation (it's hard to tell what a reader wants to know :x)

Anyways, thanks for notmuch (and being GPL-3.0+)!  I'm not a
user myself(*), but I've found the notmuch source to be a good
place to steal Xapian usage examples from for public-inbox :>

(*) I have trouble with Maildir-only scalability and
    still use gzipped mbox for old mail.