State of S/MIME support (emacs)

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Thu Sep 1 13:39:03 PDT 2016

Neale Pickett <neale at lanl.gov> writes:

> I just set up notmuch an hour ago and it seems like exactly what I need
> to better perform my project management job. Except I get a lot of
> S/MIME stuff.
>
> Web searching tells me there have been various attempts for S/MIME
> support. Before I dive into code, I thought I should ask if anybody else
> has been playing around with S/MIME, either in the command-line tools or
> in the emacs client. Specifically, I need to be able to decrypt S/MIME
> encrypted email.
>
> I'll refrain from expounding on how I *feel* about needing S/MIME.

The wall I hit when I was working on it was that libgmime does not
(correctly) support S/MIME encryption/decryption. So that's why the
command line tools only support signature verification and not
decryption.  The "good of humanity" solution (assuming you don't think
that is eradication of S/MIME) would be to add this support to
libgmime. I think upstream would take the patches, but didn't sound like
it was likely to happen without external contribution. The "dirty hack"
solution would be to use gpgsm or openssl directly from emacs.