Bug: counting messages twice after excluding tags yields different results

Lucas Hoffmann luc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 04:16:42 PDT 2016

Thank you Franz, sadly your reply did not convince me:

Quoting Franz Fellner (2016-08-31 11:21:18)
> Your problem: the example sucks ;)

No, I must object :(

> If the query searches for a tag you also have in exclude_tags (in your
> case: spam) the exclude gets ignored.

Is that documented?  Because it is not what I would expect.  You might
be right as I see this when counting messages for the first time after
excluding the tag.  But from the second run on I get a count of 0 which
is not explained by your comment.

> Change your query to just "is:inbox" and magically "spam" really gets
> excluded.

I know (and mentioned below, step 2) that this bug only appears when the
tag is also mentioned in the query.  (For the record it also happens
when the query is "is:inbox and not is:spam".)
I originally found the bug when writing a program that reads the default
config file and uses its search.exclude_tags value.  Additionally the
user might set a query and exclusion tags from the command line.
So even if I can fix the example the problem persists.  So I would
rather have the notmuch library be correctly documented or behave in an
sane way than manually parse and fix queries and exclude tags.  Please
note that my example is just that: an example to demonstrate the
behaviour.  So I don't think the correct answer to my report is "fix
your query/example".

> However it is better to create fresh query objects for each new query.
> I remember there are operations on query objects that are destructive.
> That's why users of the notmuch API usually create seperate queriy
> objects for counting messages/threads and getting the results.

Again: Is that documented?  Strangely enough counting is non destructive
before calling notmuch_query_add_tag_exclude.  And if any of these
operations is destructive I would expect any further calls to the same
function to return an error.  I updated the example c program to check
for this but did not see any error.  The new version is attached.

Hopefully I was able to clarify my concern.

Best wishes,
Lucas