Query operators

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Mon Aug 29 13:05:08 PDT 2016

Yuri D'Elia <wavexx at thregr.org> writes:

> What's your POV on this? Is it expected/useful in some scenario?
>
> I'd expect all terms to follow the same rules for consistency.

For terms where each document (mail message) has only one term with a
given prefix, OR is a more natural default, since AND can never
match. In notmuch we have id:, path:, and thread: of this type (and
maybe lastmod: and date:, although these are not boolean prefixes),
compared to tag: where each document can have many terms with the same
prefix.  Making tag: behave differently than the others is probably not
that nice either, so mostly I'd suggest explicitly writing what
operators you want.