Feature request: Finer control of paths

Jani Nikula jani at nikula.org
Wed Aug 24 10:45:36 PDT 2016

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016, Erik Rybakken <erik.rybakken at math.ntnu.no> wrote:
> I would like to store hooks in a different directory from my mail.
> It would be nice to have an option "hooks.path" with default being
> "$DATABASEDIR/.notmuch/hooks/". Also, I think a similar option for
> the xabian database would make sense.

I think we agree it would be great to be able to configure the location
of .notmuch. Unfortunately, the notmuch library currently assumes it can
deduce the database location from the mail store location. The last I
checked, making it configurable was a bit complicated, and so far nobody
has thought it would be worth it. Making the hooks directory
configurable would be significantly simpler.

For the time being, you can work around the limitations by symlinking
.notmuch or .notmuch/hooks to your preferred location.

BR,
Jani.