Mail archives in Git using ssoma (Docker image)

W. Trevor King wking at tremily.us
Sun Aug 21 02:48:33 PDT 2016

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 09:36:31PM -0700, W. Trevor King wrote:
> [2]: git://tremily.us/notmuch-archives.git

This is the ssoma archive (with the data in it).  I just set up a
basic HTTP archive (following [1]) based on a Docker image [2] (Gentoo
doesn't package all the Perl dependencies public-inbox needs).
Dockerfile for rebuilding the image is in [2].  I'm currently hosting
the archives (HTTP only) at [3].  Spinning that up from the Docker
image looks like:

  $ mkdir srv
  $ git clone --bare git://tremily.us/notmuch-archives.git srv/notmuch
  $ echo 'Notmuch -- Just an email system' >srv/notmuch.git/description
  $ git config -f srv/notmuch.git/config publicinbox.http http://tremily.us
  $ git config -f srv/notmuch.git/config publicinbox.email notmuch at notmuchmail.org
  $ docker run --name notmuch-archives -d -p 80:8080 -v ${PWD}/srv/:/srv/ wking/public-inbox

(although I'm using -p ###:8080 and have an Nginx reverse-proxy in
front).  It's not updating automatically yet, but that will probably
look like:

1. Pull new mbox [4].
2. Import into notmuch-archives [5].
3. Re-run public-inbox-index (this could probably be via ‘docker exec …’.

But I'll have to test that to confirm.  And ideally we'd be using
ssoma-mda or similar directly, instead of going through mbox, but I'd
rather get the official headers on the stored mail than be efficient
;).

One shift from Gmane's mid.gmane.org/… is that the public-inbox UI
Message-ID lookup is per-bucket, and public-inbox seems to be
encouraging per-list buckets.

And while I feel like I had a good grasp of the ssoma format two years
ago, I know very little about Perl and public-inbox.  I'm sure you
could setup a public-inbox host that is more efficient than what's
currently in my Docker image.

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: http://public-inbox.org/INSTALL