Applying patches directly from emails?

Jani Nikula jani at nikula.org
Sat Aug 13 03:38:38 PDT 2016

On Sun, 24 Jul 2016, Nicolas Petton <nicolas at petton.fr> wrote:
> Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> writes:
>> If you're asking about notmuch-emacs, I just use "|" (or ". |" if a
>> MIME subpart is the patch instead of the whole message) to pipe the
>> patch into some command i care about.
>
> That'd work, but I was hoping for something more integrated.
>
> For Emacs development & GNUS, there's `debbugs-gnu-apply-patch', which,
> given a root directory, will apply a patch, inlined or attached to the
> email, to the Emacs repository.

I find most projects have their own peculiarities, and I'm not convinced
it's beneficial for notmuch-emacs to include code to do this. It's
fairly trivial to write shell scripts to do that, and you can then pipe
the message(s) to the script, doing the cd and any other things you want
done as part of the process. Moreover, such scripts are useful for users
of other MUAs as well.

BR,
Jani.