notmuch-emacs should correctly handle signature status on reply

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Aug 3 08:30:05 PDT 2016

On Wed 2016-08-03 06:28:36 -0400, Viktor Ashirov wrote:

> in notmuch-emacs, when I reply to multipart/signed email, signature
> status gets inserted in the cited message, like this:
>
> ----------
> John Doe writes:
>> [ Unknown signature status ]
>> Hello world!
> ----------
>
> Even though signature was verified when email is viewed in notmuch-show
> ----------
>  [ multipart/signed ]
>  [ Good signature by:  John Doe <jdoe at example.org> ]
>  [ text/plain ]
> ----------
>
> So I'd like to be able to
> 1. Not include signature status in the cited message
> 2. But when I want to include it, it should be correctly processed.

fwiw, i think that the cited message should never include signature or
decryption status, and the presence of these fields in the output of
notmuch-reply is a bug.

I see no reason to make it configurable to show them, and some good
reasons not to: it's arguably a leak of information about your private
view of the world to include this stuff in a reply (the user can always
choose to write about their private view of the world manually if they
want to).

notmuch-emacs already has too many options, and we should be
parsimonious about adding new ones.

i suggest dropping the signature and encryption status entirely from
notmuch-reply.

        --dkg