Applying patches directly from emails?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sat Jul 23 08:27:39 PDT 2016

Hi Nicolas--

On Fri 2016-07-22 17:02:03 -0400, Nicolas Petton wrote:

> I'd like to be able to apply patches sent from emails, either as
> attachments or inlined.
>
> Notmuch can show inline patches as diffs, which is very handy, but I
> didn't find a builtin way to apply these inline patches (or attached
> ones) directly from the email, maybe I overlooked something?

If you're asking about notmuch-emacs, I just use "|" (or ". |" if a
MIME subpart is the patch instead of the whole message) to pipe the
patch into some command i care about.

For example, if it's a git-format-generated e-mail, i'll hit the pipe
character ("|") and then in the minibuffer i'll do:

  cd ~/src/notmuch/notmuch && git am

does that make sense?  If that doesn't work for you, can you be more
specific about what you're trying to do?

     --dkg