searching: '*analysis' vs 'reanalysis'

Gaute Hope eg at gaute.vetsj.com
Mon Jun 6 05:53:55 PDT 2016

David Bremner writes on juni 6, 2016 14:42:
> Gaute Hope <eg at gaute.vetsj.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an email with the word 'reanalysis' in the subject line and the
>> email body. However, when I try to search for '*analysis' or 'analysis'
>> I do not get any matches, should not '*analysis' at least match?
>>

> We talked about this on IRC (the short answer is no), but is there some
> improvement you could suggest to the "Wildcards" section in
> notmuch-search-terms(7) ?

Yes, thanks, not very important, but maybe add the sentence:

> It is not possible to use wildcards at the beginning of a term.

after the current explanation to emphasize this limitation (possibly
blaming Xapian to avoid futile requests).

I think it is something many would expect (and want). The current
description feels more like an example, and it is easy to make the
assumption that it works for prefixing the terms as well - although,
technically, nothing is promised in the original docs.

-gaute