slowdown in notmuch perf suite with xapian 1.3.5

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Thu Apr 7 17:40:59 PDT 2016

Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> writes:

> So the T00-new.sh numbers make sense - there's more work to do, and
> we need to read existing positional data more to insert the new stuff,
> so the increased reads and writes make sense.
>
> But guessing at what the other two tests do, I wouldn't expect them to
> be affected by this.

The non-optimized-away cases of T02-tag just adding and deleting terms
to each document with term Tmail

> I'm also a bit puzzled by how glass can manage not to read any data
> for "dump *", and several tests seem to not read or write anything
> for either backend.  What exactly are the "In/Out" numbers?

that's just the output from /usr/bin/time -f '%e\t%U\t%S\t%M\t%I/%O'

The manual describes them as "number of file system
inputs/outputs". From looking at the source, they correspond to
ru_inblock and ru_oublock fields from the getrusage call. AFAIU, that
means the number of non-cached read/writes.