Breaking a really long thread

David Mazieres dm-list-email-notmuch at scs.stanford.edu
Mon Apr 4 22:28:43 PDT 2016

Mark Walters <markwalters1009 at gmail.com> writes:

> By default the reference header is hidden. It is controlled by
> message-hidden-headers which you can customize. (Note notmuch adds
> user-agent to this list via notmuch-mua-hidden-header.)

Thanks for explaining this!  So I posted about one problem, and instead
got a solution to a problem I didn't even realize I had.  Adding:

  (setq message-hidden-headers (delete "^References:" message-hidden-headers))

to my eval-after-loaded notmuch-config.el file solved this problem
cold.  No more unintentional References: headers for me.

Arguably, I would say either both the In-Reply-To and the References
header should be hidden or neither.  Otherwise, what was happening is
that I was deleting the In-Reply-To header as it was the only one I saw,
and figuring that maybe References was adjusted after the fact based on
In-Reply-To.  After all, the message buffer doesn't keep track of the
parent message.

Unless there's a reason that someone would want to alter In-Reply-To
without altering References, it doesn't make sense to show one without
the other.

David