(emacs) Parsing problems replying to encrypted html

Matthew Lear matt at bubblegen.co.uk
Fri Apr 1 11:29:15 PDT 2016

>> Hmm. I can't duplicate the problem replying from show mode with the test
>> message you provided.  Is the appropriate key in your gpg keyring?
>
> Yes it is. I get the gpg gui prompt when opening the encrypted email and
> can decrypt it prior to show. As I suspected earlier in the thread, I
> wondered if this was related to some emacs config settings/options that I
> have. I can't immediately think what they would be though, and why they
> would trigger this particular issue for html only. Strange...

Do you have the following in your .emacs ?

(setq notmuch-multipart/alternative-discouraged '("text/plain"))

I think that's the work/not-work switch. I'm not sure if it makes sense
or not in terms of seeing the behaviour I do. I discard plain text
because I get a ton of html email at work with various embedded images
etc and I want to be able to read that (which works fine). But I can see
that to quote a reply from an encrypted message, you need to quote the
original text which will be plain text.
What do you think?
--  Matt