"The revision being read has been discarded - you should call Xapian::Database::reopen() and retry the operation"

Chris Down chris at chrisdown.name
Tue Mar 22 13:56:53 PDT 2016

David Bremner writes:
>You could try running xapian-check $MAILDIR/.notmuch/xapian

Well, that settles it then:

    % xapian-check Mail/Facebook/.notmuch/xapian
    Database couldn't be opened for reading: DatabaseModifiedError: The revision being read has been discarded - you should call Xapian::Database::reopen() and retry the operation
    Continuing check anyway
    Cross-checking document lengths between the postlist and termlist tables would use more than 1GB of memory, so skipping that check
    record:
    baseB blocksize=8K items=33895 lastblock=97 revision=19845 levels=1 root=97
    B-tree checked okay
    record table structure checked OK

    termlist:
    xapian-check: DatabaseCorruptError: Db block overwritten - are there multiple writers?

>It might be a good idea to make a backup with notmuch dump; this is a
>read-only operation so it should not make things worse.

Seems that that fatals for the same reason:

    % NOTMUCH_CONFIG=.config/notmuch/personal notmuch dump
    A Xapian exception occurred opening database: Db block overwritten - are there multiple writers?

I guess my best bet is to start with a fresh notmuch setup for this maildir?

Thanks for your help, David. I appreciate that. :-)

Chris