"The revision being read has been discarded - you should call Xapian::Database::reopen() and retry the operation"

Chris Down chris at chrisdown.name
Tue Mar 22 10:15:09 PDT 2016

Hey all,

This morning it seems both instances of notmuch-mutt I use (two different
config files, two different databases) are showing the following error:

> A Xapian exception occurred opening database: The revision being read has
> been discarded - you should call Xapian::Database::reopen() and retry the
> operation

This error seems to totally fatal notmuch, since no mail is returned in the
temporary folder.

There were some package upgrades this morning that seem potentially relevant:

    % pacman -Qi notmuch-mutt | grep Depends
    Depends On      : notmuch-runtime  perl-mailtools  perl-mail-box  perl-term-readline-gnu  perl-string-shellquote  perl-file-which
    % grep 2016-03-22 /var/log/pacman.log | grep -E 'notmuch|perl-mail|perl-term|perl-string|perl-file-which'
    [2016-03-22 09:49] [ALPM] upgraded perl-file-which (1.18-1 -> 1.21-1)
    [2016-03-22 09:49] [ALPM] upgraded perl-term-readline-gnu (1.28-1 -> 1.31-1)

Trying to downgrade these is a no-go, however, because the upgrade this morning
also upgraded Perl, and the old versions of these scripts refuse to work with
the new version of Perl (lots of "use of uninitialised value" spam).

After looking around for information about this error, it seems it can also
mean that the Xapian database is corrupted. Since this is happening on two
different databases, it seems interesting that the corruption would happen in
exactly the same way on both. Is there some way to verify the existence or
non-existence of database corruption in a Xapian database that I could try?

Thanks,

Chris