use font-face instead of explicit colouring

Mark Walters markwalters1009 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 03:26:54 PST 2016

Hi

On Sat, 05 Mar 2016, Sam Halliday <sam.halliday at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's a shame. Having light/dark alternatives are OK as a workaround but
> it's a shame this can't just all be done with faces. I don't see why there
> needs to be a string to face lookup map, why not just put the string in the
> face name?

If you did that how would you let a user customize it (I mean as a
defcustom, rather than setq in .emacs)? There is also a possible
question of dealing with tags with weird characters (eg spaces or
worse), so some form of quoting would be needed.

It's not something I have interest in implementing, but I would be happy
to review patches doing this. Dme might also have some comments -- he
had a complete rewrite of  the code dealing with the search format.

Best wishes

Mark