use font-face instead of explicit colouring

Mark Walters markwalters1009 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 03:00:00 PST 2016

Hi

On Sat, 05 Mar 2016, Sam Halliday <sam.halliday at gmail.com> wrote:
> I should say that I am aware of the workaround, e.g.
>
>     (setq
>       notmuch-search-line-faces '(("unread" :weight bold)
>                                   ("flagged" :inherit 'font-lock-string-face)))
>
> but this must be applied per-user. If you removed this defcustom and had
> unread/flagged/other faces, then themes (such as darcula) would be able
> to provide sensible defaults out of the box.

I am not sure I see how this would work without cluttering up the
customize options significantly. The notmuch-search-line-faces allows
selecting the face based on any tag (so for example I use different
colours for emails tagged "work", and tagged "waiting"). We could have
additional notmuch-search-line-unread-face which could then be  used in
the above -- but now the user has two places to customize the same thing.

How do you see this working?

(We probably could make the default depend on light or dark theme to make
the default more usable.)

Best wishes

Mark