Lost updates to Notmuch database

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Thu Feb 18 06:30:34 PST 2016

On Thu, Feb 18 2016, David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:

> Eric J <eric at deptj.eu> writes:
>
>> However, if I do it twice, in different processes, at the same time, one
>> file is added and tagged properly, the other is not (totally unfindable
>> by notmuch search). Neither process reports any error, and they both log
>> their actions normally. Actually a third simultaneous process also fails
>> to leave any result in the database.
>
> It should be impossible for more than one process to open a Xapian
> database for writing at the same time. So if the processes are really
> running in parallel, you should be getting error codes from the later
> calls to notmuch_database_open{_verbose}. You claim that's not
> happening, which is puzzling. Maybe you can try to duplicate your
> problem with a tiny C program.

In addition to that (or even before), you could

1) be able to reproduce the problem
2) try to reproduce it prefixing the command with ltrace -tt
3) examine carefully the ltrace logs to figure out where the proble lies

Tomi

Hmm, Interestingly when I run

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/vc/ext/notmuch/lib ltrace -f -tt ~/vc/ext/notmuch/notmuch-shared new

I did not see any Xapian references, but when I did

ltrace -f -tt ~/vc/ext/notmuch/notmuch new

I did. Interestingly when using libnotmuch.so.4 the xapian interface
is hidden (is it baked inside ~/vc/ext/notmuch/lib/libnotmuch.so.4.3.0 :O)