Filesystem functionality used by notmuch

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Thu Jan 14 02:33:24 PST 2016

On Thu, Jan 14 2016, Erik Quaeghebeur <notmuch at equaeghe.nospammail.net> wrote:

> Dear group,
>

> Context: FUSE filesystem for accessing data in a database.
>
> I understand that notmuch needs to be able to read a file given a
> filename (including its path). Are there any more requirements on the
> filesystem. For example, I assume that filename modification is optional
> (maildir flag changes). But perhaps notmuch makes use of times stored
> with files or some other file property?

notmuch new uses directory (and may, or may not (did not check) file) times
to figure out new files appearing in fs.

https://github.com/domo141/nottoomuch/blob/master/mboxviewfs.c is a FUSE
filesystem which shows files in one mbox file as separate files; it uses
the Date: header for the times of individual files and last per month
for a directory times (files are shown in .../yyyy-mm/ directory hierarchy).

Tomi