Binding access to ~/.notmuch-config

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Wed Jan 13 04:25:10 PST 2016

Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net> writes:

> I agree. I see notmuch as a collection of CLI tools, some of which are
> part of the distribution and others are written by myself for my
> specific needs. I'd like them all to share a single configuration file.
> In fact, I'd love to be able to add sections specific to my Python scripts.

Yes, I understand that it's convenient, but the current set up is not
really very robust.  The python bindings are making assumptions about a
file format that has never been documented, and whose stability has
never been promised. It's roughly like calling private functions not
part of the published API. Sometimes it's the only way to do something,
but that doesn't mean it won't break. I think we'll eventually want to
provide some config related API, but having having arbitrary programs
reading and writing this file isn't it, IMHO.  In particular upcoming
changes may move some configuration items out of this file and into a
library level configuration API.