Binding access to ~/.notmuch-config (was: Crash with Python bindings)

W. Trevor King wking at tremily.us
Tue Jan 12 11:13:50 PST 2016

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 03:03:15PM -0400, David Bremner wrote:
> Nothing to do with Konrad's crash, but I consider the fact that the
> python bindings read ~/.notmuch-config to be a kind of layering
> violation, since that file belongs to the CLI, while the bindings
> are supposed to provide access to libnotmuch.

I think of ~/.notmuch-config as being shared between all client code,
and in that view it makes sense to have both the CLI and Python
bindings (and other bindings) access it to figure out how to configure
their library access calls.  Having a separate config file for each
client to point at the default database path seems like more trouble
than it's worth, as does adding a library function for “reach into
some local config and return the default database path”.

Cheers,
Trevor