Bug/Issue: References header doesn't wrap in emacs package

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Fri Oct 2 05:08:45 PDT 2015

Allan Streib <astreib at indiana.edu> writes:

> Notmuch/0.20.2 (http://notmuchmail.org) Emacs/24.4.1
>
> Replying to a message in a deeply nested thread can trigger a complaint:
>
>   sendmail: command failed: 550 5.7.1 Delivery not authorized, message refused: Message is not RFC 2822 compliant
>
> The problem is a References header that is too long/not wrapped.

Hi Allan;

Thanks for the report.  I can see how notmuch-reply would generate a
long references header in that situation. We rely on message-mode (part
of Gnus) to actually send the message, and it isn't clear to me yet if
message-mode (or some function it invokes) normally folds long headers.
So the first step is to figure out where to best fix this.  As a not so
nice workaround, if you remove References from message-hidden-headers
(using e.g. customize), you'll be able to hand wrap the references line.