Possible some threads are not complete due to bug?

Xu Wang xuwang762 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 17:55:32 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 6:44 PM, David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:
> Xu Wang <xuwang762 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Because when I do a notmuch search for that message by message ID with
>> --output=threads, it gives a different thread ID.
>>
>>> Isn't that what your first command tells you?
>> Well yes, but I wanted to confirm that that is indeed the reason. I
>> have heard in someone saying that debugging is process of confirming
>> things that should be true.
>
> I'm still confused. It sounds like you gave the same command twice and
> got different answers. Can you maybe show the complete sequence of
> commands and output (assuming it's not too large)?

Dear David, thank you for your kind persistence. I apologize for the
lack of clarity in my writing. Below is the full sequence of commands
(I just subsitute MYMSGID and MYMSGIDREPLY for two message IDs) as
well as my thought process.

$ notmuch search --output=threads "id:MYMSGID"
thread:000000000000a125
$ notmuch search --output=messages "thread:000000000000a125"
id:MYMSGID
$
# I know that MYMSGIDREPLY did respond to that message. I have it in
my mutt mailbox and it shows the down-right arrow signifying this. I
inspect the headers and there is indeed a header in MYMSGIDREPLY that
says "In-Reply-To: <MYMSGID>". I then do...
$ notmuch search --output=threads "id:MYMSGIDREPLY"
thread:000000000000c125
$ notmuch search --output=messages "thread:000000000000c125"
id:MYMSGIDREPLY
$

# What I expected (and did not get) was the following output:
$ notmuch search --output=threads "id:MYMSGID"
thread:000000000000a125
$ notmuch search --output=messages "thread:000000000000a125"
id:MYMSGID
id:MYMSGIDREPLY
$

# after regenerating the notmuch database, I did indeed get the output
that I expected.

Kind regards,

Xu