Possible some threads are not complete due to bug?

Xu Wang xuwang762 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 07:33:58 PDT 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 12:02 PM, David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:
> Xu Wang <xuwang762 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sometimes I need to do:
>>
>> $ notmuch search --output=threads "id:MYMSGID"
>> thread:000000000000a125
>> $ notmuch search --output=messages "thread:000000000000a125"
>>
>> In theory, this should output the message that responded to message ID
>> "MYMSGID". Sometimes it works. But sometimes it does not work. That
>> is, there exists an email where I am sure (I checked the raw email)
>> that there is a header
>> but that email does not show when I do the two commands above.
>
> I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "does not show". Do you mean that the
> output from the second command is empty? or does not contain MYMSGID?

That was poor formatting on my part. It only was outputting the id I
put into the first command. So it only showed
id:MYMSGID

>> Indeed, that mail belongs to a different thread ID.
>
> How can you tell that the mail belongs to a different thread?

Because when I do a notmuch search for that message by message ID with
--output=threads, it gives a different thread ID.

> Isn't that what your first command tells you?
Well yes, but I wanted to confirm that that is indeed the reason. I
have heard in someone saying that debugging is process of confirming
things that should be true.

Kind regards,

Xu