notmuch-show-toggle-message behavior

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Thu Aug 27 22:50:59 PDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 28 2015, Bart Bunting <bart at bunting.net.au> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Bart

> Following the discussion in: id:874mjk614c.fsf at qmul.ac.uk regarding the
> behavior of notmuch-show-toggle-message and following hyperlinks, I
> wanted to chime in on a similar but not exactly the same topic.
>
> I am blind and use emacspeak (a speech subsystem for emacs) to do all of
> my emacs work including reading email with notmuch.
>
> I often arrow down to a part and hit enter only to find that
> notmuch-show-toggle-message hides all of the message body because the
> point is at the beginning of the line and the part I'm actually trying
> to toggle is indented.

I think that is PITA too...

> Would it make sense to have notmuch-show-toggle-message activate any
> item on the same line rather than take the generic action of hiding all
> the message text.

In your case perhaps disabling indentation could be a good first aid ?

In customize-group notmuch-show there is entry
Notmuch Show Indent Messages Width defaulting to 1 -- setting that to 0
would disable indentation -- (setq notmuch-show-indent-messages-width 0)
do the same.

> I would also like it if for example there was an id or hyperlink on the
> line that it was activated.  In the case that there was more than one
> then activating the first one unless point is on the second or
> subsiquent link sounds like predictable behavior to me.
> .

Hmm, In text/plain content I have id: -links active -- and pressing TAB
moves me to next id (or part) button. What kind of feedback do you get
when pressing TAB in notmuch-show buffer?

> The implication of the current behaviour for me is that when this
> happens i need to unhide the message and then move to the part I want to
> expand makeing sure I move off the empty space at the beginning of the
> line before triggering notmuch-show-toggle-message.
>
> Is this behaviour annoying to anyone else?

It is. that *should* work in the beginning of line, at least with part
buttons.

Tomi