(emacs) customise key bindings taking text input

Matthew Lear matt at bubblegen.co.uk
Tue Jul 14 04:32:17 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I was wondering if there was a way to add a new search similar to what
pressing s does, but make it use a predefined list of search terms in
addition to the text being entered? For example, I have reams of bug
notification emails which currently have various tags applied. If I wanted
to search a subset of these tags with a number (bug id) in the subject,
right now I have to press s and type tag:foo and tag:bar and subject:1234.
If I could add a new search option (eg 'B') and after pressing that I
simply enter the bug id and hit return, it would save me a lot of typing.
I have custom searches set up which do the 'tag:foo and tag:bar' and I can
filter on the subject, but that still means pressing f and typing
subject:1234.

I fear I'm rambling here but hopefully I've conveyed what I'm trying to do.
Is this possible?
Just trying to cut down on my typing ;-)

Thanks,
--  Matt