search query "replytoid:<blah>"

Xu Wang xuwang762 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 11:32:09 PDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 4:22 AM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 10:55:52PM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 02:47:00PM -0400, Xu Wang wrote:
>> >
>> > Is it possible to search based on which message ID a message
>> > *responds* to? For example, suppose message id is MESSAGEID. I want to
>> > find all emails that responded to MESSAGEID. How to enter such a query
>> > into notmuch?
>>
>> AFAIK, this is not possible.  Notmuch does not allow searching special
>> headers.  You could probably write a script using the threads output
>> format to get the thread, and then use formail to find the responses.
>
> Try the attached script.  It accepts notmuch queries by message id.
> E.g. to get the responses to your OP, you can do:
>
>   $ ./nm-ack id:CAJhTkNhYew6H-bptACTew3gN3DLWg6agTYu8hAkdwFS=z4VFWg at mail.gmail.com
>   id:877fr79upd.fsf at maritornes.cs.unb.ca id:20150613205552.GC17381 at chitra.no-ip.org
>
> The first one is David's response, the second one is mine.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> --
> Suvayu

These are exactly what I was looking for! I tried Suvayu's script with
success, and although I did not try the script referenced by David's
email, the goal is exactly my goal and thus it seems it should do as I
would like as well.

Thank you so very much to you for persisting in helping me, even
despite the lack of clarity in my messages. I highly appreciate you
and your time.

Happy regards,

Xu