search query "replytoid:<blah>"

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Sat Jun 13 14:14:54 PDT 2015

Xu Wang <xuwang762 at gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> Is it possible to search based on which message ID a message
> *responds* to? For example, suppose message id is MESSAGEID. I want to
> find all emails that responded to MESSAGEID. How to enter such a query
> into notmuch?

Threads aren't exactly the concept you ask for, because the include the
messages before the message-id in question as well. Nonetheless, maybe
the following helps:

% notmuch show $(notmuch search --output=threads $MESAGEID)

or

% notmuch search --output=messages $(notmuch search --output=threads $MESAGEID)