Learning Notmuch

Johnny Utahh notmuchmail.org at johnnyutahh.com
Sat Jun 6 12:32:50 PDT 2015

On 6/6/15, 2:59 AM, Jani Nikula wrote:
> You're probably better off sending your specific questions to the
> list, so we can quote them in our replies and discuss them.

Certainly. Does the following work? (They're questions, each followed by
corresponding section weblinks from the document's Table of Contents,
for context/details.) Should I instead send each question as a separate
email?

Which MUA(s) is (are) best for me?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#MUA_choice

Support old-style IMAP-folder paradigm?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#old_style_imap_folder_paradigm

Support IMAP-account separation?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#imap_account_separation

Will tags stick with moved messages?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#moving-msgs-after-applying-tags

Hot to perform MUA folder-based searching with name auto-completion?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#folder_based_searching

How to support "IMAP folders as tags"?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#IMAP_folders_as_tags

How to auto-detect need for IMAP resync?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#auto-detect-if-imap-resync-needed

Sync metadata across machines?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#sync_notmuch_metadata_across_machines

Sync Notmuch tags with maildir flags?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#sync-notmuch-tags-with-maildir-flags

How to manage messages with attachments?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#managing-message-attachments

How to support offline editing - postponing drafts?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#offline-editing-postponing-drafts

How to write HTML-formatted messages?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#writing-html-formatted-messages

How to forward messages with attachments?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#forwarding_msgs_w_attachments

> IMO the notion of "tag-based email" is misleading to begin with. I
> would call both notmuch and mu *search* based email tools. Tagging is
> just one small part of it.

Got it. I've retitled the doc.

> The last time I checked, the main differences between notmuch and mu
> were in threading, community, and spinoff tools. I think the handling of
> threads is superior in notmuch (YMMV), and this is particularly visible
> in the emacs interfaces. The downside of that is slower
> indexing. Notmuch has a wider developer community while mu is mostly a
> one man show. Notmuch has more people to keep the project moving, but
> one person might provide a more unified UI experience. Finally, I think
> there are more tools and MUAs written around notmuch, partly due to the
> language bindings to the library.

Thanks, quite helpful.

Johnny
--