build failures on Mac OS X 10.6.8 - diagnosis

J. Lewis Muir jlmuir at imca-cat.org
Wed Jun 3 13:15:59 PDT 2015

On 6/3/15 1:00 AM, Tomi Ollila wrote:
> Now that I look at this, I think that having full path to
> util/libutil.a should be used (everywhere) and if there is need to use
> *system-provided* libutil, then -lutil is to be added to the command
> line...
>
> ... I think it is somewhat unfortunate (or confusing) to have the
> library named as such, and perhaps better naming should have been
> used, but (*)
>
> (*) http://martinfowler.com/bliki/TwoHardThings.html

Hi, Tomi.

But isn't it a local library that is only used by Notmuch at compile
time?  It isn't installed anywhere by "make install", right?  So, it
would be easy to change the name, no?  But maybe I'm missing something.

>> If not, what would be a better way to solve this?
>
> Actually you could check how homebrew etc. solve this problem (or if
> there is any) to come with other ideas...

I checked Homebrew and MacPorts, and they don't do anything (at least
not in their respective Notmuch packages; it's still possible they do
something globally that I don't know about).

I checked pkgsrc, and they rename the library to libmyutil.a.

Regards,

Lewis