notmuch_thread_get_authors

Ronny Chevalier chevalier.ronny at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 05:22:07 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 1:35 AM, David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:
> Ronny Chevalier <chevalier.ronny at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know the reason behind the way we get authors from a
>> thread, with notmuch_thread_get_authors.
>>

> there is some related patches/discussion at
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.notmuch.general/19422

Ok thanks.

Since I just subscribed to the mailing list, I can't reply to this the
thread so I reply here.

Austin Clements wrote:
> And I think there's a fairly easy way to do it in C code that will
> also prevent library interface bloat: instead of introducing new
> library APIs to get at this information, just use the existing
> notmuch_thread_get_messages API and construct the matched and
> non-matched lists in the CLI.  Doing it in the CLI wouldn't require
> the library to export yet another string list structure, which is
> always a huge pain (thanks C!), and wouldn't introduce more "helper"
> functions into the library API.

I disagree with what Austin said. Because this does not solve the
issue at all (or I misunderstood). The issue is with the notmuch API,
if someone is using this library there no way it can parse properly
the authors.
In my case I am not using the CLI but the notmuch library, fixing this
in the CLI is just an hack, and it does not fix the issue for the
library users.

Furthermore, I do not see why providing a string list NULL-terminated
in C is a huge pain?

Otherwise, I agree with Mark Walters comments on the patch.

If no one is working to fix this at the moment, I can send a patch?

Ronny