ANNOUNCE: muchsync 0 - share notmuch DB across machines

David Mazieres dm-list-email-notmuch at scs.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 17 16:42:51 PDT 2015

I'm pleased to announce the release of muchsync:

        http://www.muchsync.org/

Muchsync is a notmuch mail synchronizer.  It lets you keep a full copy
of your notmuch database on every one of your computers.  Muchsync
properly synchronizes maildir contents and notmuch tags, obeying the no
lost updates rule and sensibly but conservatively resolving update
conflicts with no manual intervention.

After initialization (which is slow because it has to download and
re-index all of your mail), muchsync is bandwidth efficient and works
well over high-latency networks.  It is much faster than alternatives
such as offlineimap, particularly when you have lots of different
maildirs.

I originally had plans to rename the utility syncmuch and add tons of
features.  However, as soon as I ran the first tests of the system, I
found that I could not go back to any other way of reading email and my
test became production use.  Just this base functionality has been
enough to solve all of my email problems for the last 13 months.  I'm
therefore releasing it in the hopes that others will similarly find it
useful.  (And if muchsync ever takes off, there are small changes to the
notmuch API we can discuss that would make it even more efficient...)

David