Looking for the perfect mail client

Patrick Totzke patricktotzke at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 07:27:23 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Quoting Simon Chopin (2014-10-21 11:42:39)

> You can't show HTML content without a web browser or a conversion
> to ascii AFAIK (BTW, alot uses w3m, which is a web browser :-) ). So you need
> to choose between the two (or viewing raw HTML, of course)

Just for completenes's sake: alot might use w3m on your box because you told it
to :) It will happily use whichever html2text converter you set up in your
mailcap (see http://alot.readthedocs.org/en/latest/faq.html point 5).
This set up mirrors that of mutt and other console MUAs.

> > - which is fast
>
> That last point is my main problem with alot. There are some algorithms
> within the widgets that seem unobviously slow to me.

I agree with you. Out of interest: do you have any specific examples/complaints?
There is a recent fix for some recursion issue within the tree widgets
(https://github.com/pazz/urwidtrees/pull/4) that should solve some related
issues at least.

Best wishes,
/p