[BUG] notmuch crashes on FreeBSD when synchronize_flags=true

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Sat Mar 21 11:14:28 PDT 2015

Simon Campese <notmuchmail_org at campese.de> writes:

> #4  0x000000080084dd1c in notmuch_message_get_replies () from /usr/local/lib/libnotmuch.so.3

Just confirm, this particular backtrace is from notmuch 0.18, right?
because 0.19 should build / be-linked-against libnotmuch.so.4.

> On my linux box (running the same verions of notmuch and its
> dependencies), the error doesn't occur, so I guess it has something to
> do with the different C++-Stacks (libcxxrt is FreeBSD's ABI library).
> A quick glance at the notmuch code showed that
> notmuch_message_get_replies() sometimes returns NULL. I'm not a C++
> expert but could it be that this might be the problem here?

No, I don't think so, that's a defined part of the API.

The usual problem on *BSD some incompatibility between glibc and BSD's
interpretation of POSIX. OTOH I couldn't identify something like that
from the backtrace you included.

I would be curious if the Xapian test suite runs in your environment.

> To give you some version numbers, this is what's currently installed:
>
> notmuch: 0.19
> xapian-core: 1.2.20

notmuch probably hasn't been very well tested against xapian 1.2.20,
since it was only release a few weeks ago, and isn't available widely
(or more precisely, in Debian) as binary packages.  Are you running that
on your linux box as well?