Proposal: List-Id

Harlan Lieberman-Berg hlieberman at setec.io
Sun Mar 15 16:02:56 PDT 2015

Hello everyone!

One of my (few) problems right now with notmuch is around mailing lists
that are copied, either as CC or BCC, on various emails that go around.
My filtering inside notmuch right now doesn't catch all the messages,
since the only tag I can match on is "to:foo at bar.org" and not all
messages have the to rewritten.

The standard for identifying mailing lists seems to be List-Id, as per
RFC 2919.  I can understand the desire to keep the number of headers
included in the header block low, but I wonder if this might be a common
enough use-case to suggest its inclusion.

As a counter-argument, I can see the parallel to spam filtering which
come with their own set of headers that are not special cased by
notmuch, but there seems to be much more variety in headers there - as
well as different user configurations.

Thank you all for your help, and I'm looking forward to hearing your
thoughts.  (I'm not yet subscribed, so please keep me CCed to the
thread.)

Sincerely,

--
Harlan Lieberman-Berg